Wednesday, July 4, 2012

My GAME Plans

            As an educator in the 21st century, it is our duty to teach our students how to become self-directed learners.  They need to be able to be flexible, motivated and creative thinkers (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009).  One way to teach them how to become self-directed learners, they can follow a GAME plan.  This is where they can think about their goals, what actions they will take to meet their goals, how they will monitor their progress and how they can extend and evaluate what they have learned (Cennamo et al., 2009).
            It is also necessary for teachers to be self-directed learners that set goals for themselves.  It is just as easy for use to follow the same GAME plan as the students do.  I have looked at the International Society for Technology in Education’s National Education Technology Standards for Teachers (International Society for Technology in Education, 2008) and chosen two standards that I would like to broaden my knowledge and experience with.  I have included my GAME plan for each of those standards below.

GAME Plan 1: NETS-T: #4: Promote & Model Digital Citizenship & Responsibility
Set Goals
Learn more about teaching “safe, legal, and ethical use of digital information” (International Society for Technology in Education, 2008).

Take Action
Explore professional learning networks (PLNs) and complete searches for tips and ways to teach my students how to cite their resources.

Monitor
Track and try different options and ideas.  Record effectiveness of each option or idea.

Evaluate & Extend
Work with peers to talk about what I have found and what other teachers do.  Continue to research if necessary.


GAME Plan 2: NETS-T: #5: Engage in Professional Growth & Leadership
Set Goals
Learn more about how other teachers are using technology and incorporating it into their daily instruction.  Learn more about technology tools that other teachers commonly use and find student-friendly.

Take Action
Try to create a group within the school I teach where teachers can share ways they incorporate technology into their classroom.  Try to create a PLN within the district to share ways other teachers use technology in their classroom.  Collaborate with other teachers online through PLNs on tips to incorporate technology and student-friendly tools.

Monitor
Learn how to use new tools and incorporate ideas discussed with colleagues within my instruction to see how my students interact with these new tools. 

Evaluate & Extend
Continue to use tools that students interact well with and discontinue tools that are too difficult for my tudents.  Continue to work with other teachers and try to attend technology conferences whenever possible.

References

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education technology standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/Libraries/PDFs/NETS_for_Teachers_2008_EN.sflb.ashx.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Melissa:

    After reading your GAME plan for the indicators you have chosen, I would love to know the results you will gather.

    About the first indicator, I would include as part of the Action step a way to include the students views about what they understand concerning ethics and safety in the Internet to have a clearer idea of what they know and what they will need to learn. I really like the idea of integrating a PLN as part of your Action and Monitor steps, and how you are planning to evaluate your results using the PLN.

    About the second indicator, it is a great idea to learn how other teachers are using technology in their classrooms. This would help us broaden our knowledge and ideas, and see innovative ways of using technology in ways that we probably have not or would not have seen on our own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa,
    I agree that having students use a GAME plan to set their own goals and be responsible for their own learning. It is important to instill these principles and what better way than setting the example and using them for our own advancement.

    The first indicator that you chose is definitely one of the most important. If we are not aware of how to legally use the internet, we cannot teach our students how to protect themselves and the information they find.

    The second indicator is important to helping understand how other teachers are working with technology. Doing so allows us all to use it to to advance all of our lessons.

    I really enjoyed the ideas you shared on your GAME plans. I hope that you implement these in your classroom next year.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naida,
    I really like your idea of incorporating the students' views into my GAME plan. I think that would be a great way to evaluate my own progress and how much I have taught them. Thank you so much for your idea.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole,
    Thank you so much for reading my post. I also hope that I can effectively integrate these goals into my classroom. I know that it will help me as a teacher to grow, as well as my students.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete